ALASKA HB14. ASSAULT; SEX OFFENSES; SENT. AGGRAVATOR
ENACTED AND/OR EFFECTED: 2009
* Section 1. AS 11.41.200(a) is amended to read:
(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the first-degree if
(1) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by means of a dangerous instrument;
(2) with intent to cause serious physical injury to another, the person causes serious physical injury to any person;
(3) the person knowingly engages in conduct that results in serious physical injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; [OR]
(4) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by repeated assaults using a dangerous instrument, even if each assault individually does not cause serious physical injury; or
(5) that person knowingly causes another to become unconscious by means of a dangerous instrument; in this paragraph, “dangerous instrument” has the meaning given in AS 11.81.900(b)(15)(B).
(b) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.
* Sec. 3. AS 11.81.900(b)(15) is amended to read:
(15) “dangerous instrument” means
(A) any deadly weapon or anything that, under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used, or threatened to be used, is capable of causing death or serious physical injury; or
(B) hands, other body parts, or other objects when used to impede normal breathing or circulation of blood by applying pressure on the throat or neck or obstructing the nose or mouth;