By: Drew Knight

After 16-plus hours of negotiations, the suspect in an officer-involved shooting on Natalie Cove in Cedar Park was identified after he finally surrendered to authorities Monday morning.

The man was identified as 26-year-old Joseph Desean Taylor.

Taylor and his mother came outside of the home Monday morning, with Taylor peacefully turning himself over to police. He had previously released his brother and sister during negotiations after barricading himself inside.

According to police, the incident began Sunday after Taylor’s mother called to report that he had kicked in their door and was being aggressive. Responding Cedar Park police officers were met with gunfire, injuring three of them, and setting off the hours-long standoff.

Cedar Park Interim Police Chief Mike Harmon said he visited the officers in the hospital on Sunday evening. The next day, two of the officers were released from the hospital, while the third underwent surgery. He was expected to be released Wednesday afternoon.

After barricading himself and the family inside, Taylor went on Facebook Live for about an hour. During the stream, Taylor’s sister pleads with him to go outside to the ambulance because he is bleeding. He can also be heard speaking with negotiators.

Taylor was taken to a nearby hospital for examination before he was booked into the Williamson County Jail on Monday afternoon. He has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on a public servant and three counts of aggravated kidnapping.

Officials said this is not the first time they have responded to the residence.

Cedar Park shooting suspect has a history of family violence

In September 2019, court records indicate police were called to the home due to Taylor attacking and choking his teen brother after an argument. His mother reported that it took her and her two adult daughters to pull Taylor off the boy.